15 Reasons to Visit the Graduate Student Center
written by a fellow graduate student
If you are a graduate student and you are tired of studying alongside malodorous freshman, then you need to check out the Graduate Student Center. Located in Colbourn Hall, Suite 146, the Graduate Student Center provides a comfortable, multi-use, high-tech haven for graduate students to collaborate, communicate, and concentrate. The space was designed by graduate students to fit the many needs of the graduate community. Here are 15 reasons to check out the Center today:
- Limitless printing! Bring your own paper and enjoy unlimited access to black and white printers in the computer labs for FREE.
- We also have document scanner/copier. So you can print, copy, and scan now without limit (again, as long as you bring your own paper).
- The Center is one of only a few grad student-only spaces on campus. Cherish this.
- Wireless access throughout the Center, of course.
- Summer Semester Hours:
- A quick and easy digital sign-in process. Just bring your UCF student ID and swipe the card reader to sign in and out. (Wondering just how long you have spent in the Center? The card reader can tell you that as well.)
- Centrally located in Colbourn Hall, minutes from the B&N Cafe (Starbucks), Student Union, Library, and Millican Hall. And it’s right next to the University Writing Center. (Closest parking garage is I.) And did I say Starbucks?
- Academic usage not required. Use the Center just to hang out, work on homework, read a magazine, or eat a snack.
- Ample study space in the Multipurpose Study Area. Find yourself a comfortable couch and plenty of laptop outlets for classwork or use the 65” LCD presentation screen and a round table for a small study group.
- Defend your thesis or hold large group meetings in the Presentation Room, which features 38 ultra-ergonomic desks, digital video recording capabilities, projection screen, and document viewer.
- Hold a video conference call or a small study session in the Conference Room, which seats 14 and houses another giant 65” LCD screen. We also have video recording capabilities in this room.
- Software galore! The Study and Data Analysis Rooms contain computer stations, printers, and specialized software such as Origin 8.6, Adobe Master Collection, SPSS, MAGic, JAWS, Amos, LaTex, ArcGIS, ChemBio Office, Interactive Data Language, Mat Lab, and now Google SketchUp and more.
- Reserve any of the Center’s rooms or computers easily using the online reservation form. FYI, they frown upon room reservations just for taking naps.
- Friendly and helpful graduate assistants! The Center’s GAs can provide basic student support but they will not do your homework.
- Numerous events always going on at the Center. Their events calendar abounds with professional development workshops and social events.
For more information about the Center, visit https://graduate.ucf.edu/graduate-student-center/.
We’d love to see you at the Graduate Student Center!
Kevin, Rachel, Kevin, Kristin and Graham; your friendly graduate assistants.
Share This Article
The University of Central Florida is one of more than 800 institutions with graduate schools surveyed by U.S. News on an annual basis. The first ranking listed encompasses all universities....
The University of Central Florida today named Grace Marie Bochenek ’98PhD its new director of the School of Modeling, Simulation and Training following a national search. Bochenek brings more than 25 years of experience...
For many people suffering from depression, chronic pain, and addiction, common treatment options such as psychotherapy and medication don’t work, according to scientific and public health reports. That’s why researchers...
The UCF College of Graduate Studies is proud to recognize the following graduate students and faculty for their excellence. The honorees were recognized during Founder’s Day. Each year the Graduate...
This year’s Reach for the Stars honorees really lives up to the award name. They are tackling some huge problems and are conducting research that betters society and improves the...