3MT (Three Minute Thesis)
UCF’s Three Minute Thesis (3MT) Competition
Three Minute Thesis (3MT) features master’s and doctoral students communicating their research in just three minutes with only one PowerPoint slide. Participants are judged on the ability to effectively convey the importance of their research in an engaging way to a non-specialist audience.
First developed in 2008 by the University of Queensland in Australia, the popularity of the competition has increased and 3MT competitions are now held in over 600 universities across more than 59 countries worldwide.
For questions about this event, please email [email protected].
Join us for the 2024 3 Minute Thesis
Morgridge International Reading Center
November 14, 2023
1:00 – 3:30 pm
Light Refreshments will be provided
Applications for the UCF 3MT will open in early Fall 2024. See below for full eligibility.
Scholarships will be awarded to outstanding presentations at the 3MT Finals as follows:
- Winners: $1,000 Scholarship
- Runners up: $750 Scholarship
- People’s Choice: $250 Scholarship
All scholarships awards are contingent on the finalist completing all required activities leading up to the 3MT Finals.
Participants must be currently enrolled UCF doctoral or master’s students actively engaged in research. Doctoral students must be currently enrolled in dissertation hours. Master’s students must be enrolled in thesis hours or completing a long term research project. A competitive candidate should have a well-conceived project (ideally their dissertation or thesis research), compelling data collected, and a novel story to share. The work presented must have been conducted at UCF for the student’s current degree program.
The number of finalists chosen for the event on November 15, 2023, will depend on the submissions made. Master’s and doctoral students will compete separately. All finalists will be required to attend a series of preparation activities to develop their presenting skills leading up to the finals.
The first-place winner and runner-up will be chosen by a panel of judges. Over $4,000 in Scholarships will be awarded to winners at both the master’s and doctoral levels.
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted; no slide transitions, animations, or ‘movement’ of any description are allowed; the slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration
- No additional electronic media (e.g., sound and video files) are permitted
- No additional props (e.g., costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted
- Presentations are limited to three minutes (plus a 10-second buffer) and competitors exceeding three minutes will be disqualified
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g., no poems, rapping, or songs)
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final
- Communication style: Was the thesis topic and its significance communicated in language appropriate to an intelligent but non-specialist audience?
- Comprehension: Did the presentation help the audience understand the research?
- Engagement: Did the presentation make the audience want to know more?
2023 Event Finalists
Thank you to the finalists who presented at the 2023 UCF 3MT event!
Meghan Kane – Industrial and Organizational Psychology MS
Njeri Kinuthia – Emerging Media MFA – Studio Art and Design Track
Cory Kennedy Barrow – Theatre MFA – Theatre for Young Audiences Track
Dani Sarta – Creative Writing MFA
Olivia Van Natta – Emerging Media – Studio Art and Design Track
Melanie Cedeño-Lopez – Feature Film Production MFA (Winner)
Nikki Barnes – Texts and Technology PhD
Alexandra Frank – Education PhD – Counselor Education Track
Yu-Shan Huang - Business Administration PhD – Marketing Track
Greta LeDoyen – Curriculum and Instruction EdD
Yasaman Majd Electrical Engineering PhD
Whitney Margaritis – Integrative Anthropological Sciences PhD
Helen Mills – Nursing PhD
Ashley Morris – Public Affairs PhD (Winner)
Christopher Proppe – Kinesiology PhD
Ilana Szlamkowicz – Chemistry PhD
Want to see what 3MT is all about? Watch the 3MT presentations from our past events on our YouTube page: