Getting Started

Getting Started

Getting Started
For current students
Getting Started


Enrolling in courses keeps you active and hopefully progress towards your degree. You must enroll in your first admission term and be enrolled during the enrollment time frame before the end of drop/add.

Advising Appointment – You should meet early and often with your program advisor. You’ll work with your advisor to discuss your enrollment for the semester and then to make a plan for the rest of your time.

Scribe/Video How To? How to set up an advising appointment

Placeholder Course –Not sure what to enroll in and want to avoid a late fee?  Enroll in a placeholder course while setting up your advising appointment with your program to confirm appropriate classes for the semester. 

Maintaining Enrollment– It’s important that you maintain active enrollment. All semesters are counted towards enrollment: Fall, Spring, and Summer. If a student doesn’t enroll for 2 semesters, they will be discontinued. At that point, if they want to enroll again, they will need to apply for readmission. If there is a situation that will prevent a student from enrolling, they should consider looking into a Special Leave of Absence. 

Catalog and Handbook Information

The catalog is your “contract” with the university. It maps out what you need to do to earn your degree. The Handbook is a detailed guide to how to complete everything satisfactorily to earn your degree. The information provided in both of these documents will be used to build the POS. 

Programs of Study (POS)

A program of study is a document mapping out the requirements (courses, milestones, independent study work) that an individual will complete and when for their program. It needs to be agreed upon between the student and the program and submitted to the College of Gradate Studies for approval and completion by the end of a student’s 2nd semester. For a successful POS, the student and the program should keep in mind:


Transfer Credit – any external (taken at an institution other than UCF) or internal (courses taken prior to the admit term of a student’s current program) that they would like to request to be used to count towards/for program coursework. Transfer Credit must follow the Graduate Catalog policies:

  • No undergraduate of any kind or graduate D/F coursework may be transferred
  • A maximum of 50% of the degree program can be made of transfer coursework
  • A student must complete 15 hours of A-F graded coursework at UCF in their program
  • Courses older than 7 years must be reviewed and formally approved by the program/department to be used
  • Transfer Coursework must be requested by the end of the 2nd term from admission

Traveling Scholar – Non transfer credit but part of the overall plan if needed for your educational enrichment. A traveling scholar is a student who, after they are admitted to their UCF graduate program, has been permitted to take classes at a host institution to count towards their degree. Prior approval must be obtained before the student enrolls and takes these classes. The purpose is to allow students to benefit from resources necessary for their success that are not otherwise available to them in their current program. A maximum of 6 credit hours with “B” or better grades may be approved as a Traveling Scholar.

UCF Events

Upcoming Graduate Student Events

No events found.